Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 8i Migration: Enterprise down to Standard
Oracle 8i Migration: Enterprise down to Standard [message #50492] Mon, 18 March 2002 10:19 Go to next message
jack
Our 190k a year consultant isntalled an illegal verison of Enterprise 8I.
Can someone shed light on how to downgrade a simple system?

We bought Standard 8i and are now legal.

Could a competent Oracle programmer do this pretty easily?

How long would an expert take?

THANKS!
Re: Oracle 8i Migration: Enterprise down to Standard [message #50511 is a reply to message #50492] Tue, 19 March 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sanjay Bajracharya
Well there are not much difference between the standard and the EE version of Oracle8i.
The engine is the same. EE version will have some high level options. If you are not using any of the high level options like parallel server, partitioning etc, you should be OK.

As for how long it will take for an export, depends on the size of the database.

How this can be changed, I cannot give you any confident answer, as I have not done anything like this. But here is what I would do:

1. Take a FULL export of the database.
2. Take COLD backup of database and the complete system. (with database shutdown of coarse).
3. Uninstall Oracle8i EE.
4. Install Oracle8i SE in the same ORACLE_HOME.
5. start the database.
6. If database starts, run catalog.sql, catproc.sql & catexp.sql as sys (to be in the safer side). These are harmless scripts to run.
7. If the database does not startup, restore from backup (#2)

NOTE: these are just suggestions. Good luck.
Re: Oracle 8i Migration: Enterprise down to Standard [message #50514 is a reply to message #50492] Tue, 19 March 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
It depends on the OS. What OS are you using. If it is unix it is easy. Back it up. Rename the ORACLE_HOME so you will still have it and install the right version where the old one was. Then basically create your admin directories and move your initSID.ora files. Create the symbolic soft links in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs to the initSID.ora file in your admin dirs. Copy the password file to $ORACLE_HOME/dbs if you use one . Set you environment and bring it up. I love unix.

Windows is a whole other story. Follow Sanjay's suggestion. If that doesn't work keep all your backups somewhere safe and completely remove oracle from your registry and delete it from the server including Program File directories. Then install the correct Oracle and create the new DB and import it. Much bigger job!
Re: Oracle 8i Migration: Enterprise down to Standard [message #50516 is a reply to message #50492] Tue, 19 March 2002 11:31 Go to previous message
jack
Thank guys, you ROCK!
Previous Topic: Archive log mode -problem
Next Topic: How often to ANALYZE tables in DW
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 06:55:35 CDT 2024