Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » deleted database
deleted database [message #50993] Thu, 18 April 2002 16:03 Go to next message
Mike Sewell
Hello,

An Oracle 8.1.5 database on a Win2K machine was deleted accidentally with Configuration Assistant. It appears the data files are still in the database directory. There is no backup. Is there any hope of recovering this database?

Thanks.
Re: deleted database [message #50998 is a reply to message #50993] Thu, 18 April 2002 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pravin Raharekar
Hi Mike,

If your Datafile and redolog files are there, copy all file including redologs. Create a database with same name, shutdown it, replace newly created datafile and redofile with older ones. Start database using NOMOUNT option. Create control file using old datafile and redolog files and start your database.

Hope it will work for you..

Rgds

Pravin
Re: deleted database [message #51009 is a reply to message #50998] Fri, 19 April 2002 07:39 Go to previous message
Mike Sewell
Pravin,

Thanks so much for the reply to my post on the Oracle message board regarding a deleted database. I don't work with Oracle much, so my experience is very limited.

I did try to copy the files and create another database, but two things happened. One, when I tried to create the database with the same name, it says there is already a database with that name, although it doesn't show up in Configuration Assistant. Two, when I try to copy the files, on one of them I get an error message saying "Could not copy file....Cyclical Redundancy Check error", or something like that.

How do you start a database with NOMOUNT?

I hate to be a pain, but if you had the time, could you spell it out better for someone with very little Oracle experience?

Thanks a million.

Mike
Previous Topic: Oracle 8.1.7.3
Next Topic: ODBC
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 18:56:41 CDT 2024