Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Need urgent help
Need urgent help [message #51001] Fri, 19 April 2002 00:33 Go to next message
Pravin Raharekar
Hi all,

I am trying to import a dump file into my database which is using character set UTF8. While importing it is giving me following errors:

IMP-00069: Could not convert to environment national character set's handle
IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessully

Thanks in advance

Pravin
Re: Need urgent help [message #51003 is a reply to message #51001] Fri, 19 April 2002 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Epe
Hello,

the national character set of the DB exported from should be of the same length as the one from DB to import to... Info from Oracle manuals :
"
Up to three character set conversions may be required for character data during an export/import operation:
1.) Export writes export files using the character set specified in the NLS_LANG environment variable for the user session. A character set conversion is performed if the value of NLS_LANG differs from the database character set.
2.) If the character set in the export file is different than the Import user session character set, Import performs a character set conversion to its user session character set. Import can perform this conversion only if the ratio of the width of the widest character in its user session character set to the width of the smallest character in the export file character set is 1.
3) A final character set conversion may be performed if the target database's character set is different from Import's user session character set.

To minimize data loss due to character set conversions, it is advisable to ensure that the export database, the export user session, the import user session, and the import database all use the same character set."

For further info see on-line Oracle manuals on :
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76955/ch02.htm#19236
(the 22nd subtitle : "Character set and NLS considerations")

Success,

epe
Re: Need urgent help [message #51007 is a reply to message #51001] Fri, 19 April 2002 05:30 Go to previous message
Grant
This error is usually generated when the export was done with a lower version than you are importing with. What version do you have and what version was the export done with?
Previous Topic: Help In creating the Database
Next Topic: Oracle 8.1.7.3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 18:56:06 CDT 2024