Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » logging and rollback segs
logging and rollback segs [message #51186] Mon, 06 May 2002 08:56 Go to next message
John Bruinsma
Hi,

Maybe someone can answer this question. My 8i database
is in archive mode. When I look at the properties
of my tablespace, all have logging on. But what about the rollback tablespace? Should this not be in nologging mode?
Thanks !!!
Re: logging and rollback segs [message #51188 is a reply to message #51186] Mon, 06 May 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saleem
When items are archived by the archiver process, it writes the transactions from various sources including the rollback segments. the 'logging' status you are looking at from the tablespace level has to do with whether transactions generate any redo, not to do with archive log mode. that is seperate and at a system level.

hope that helps.
Re: logging and rollback segs [message #51198 is a reply to message #51186] Mon, 06 May 2002 20:00 Go to previous message
Vikas Gupta
Hello John,

Rollback segments should be in logging mode.

Lets Say u updated a table. But the database crashed before u could commit. During recovery the database will be taken upto the the point where u had updated. Then Oracle will find that there was no commit, hence it will have to rollback the transaction,
and will take the help of Rollback segments to do this.

Regards,
Vikas.
Previous Topic: How to discover what system events have been set
Next Topic: Anyone out there working as Oracle DBA
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 18:50:08 CDT 2024