Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Terminology
Terminology [message #51209] Tue, 07 May 2002 06:52 Go to next message
Andy Callaway
I'm confused with all the terminology relating to the setting up of database connections in oracle, e.g. oracle instances, databse aliases, etc, what does it all mean?

Where can I find a simple guide?

Thanks
Re: Terminology [message #51215 is a reply to message #51209] Tue, 07 May 2002 13:09 Go to previous message
MarkJ
A database is a collection of files that a user interacts with via an instance. An instance is a set of server processes used to make a database available. Since some groups of users have different needs, you can have multiple instances mounting the same database and then tune each instance differently (how's that for fine tuning the db's performance!) but multiple instances per database requires Oracle Parallel Server (OPS in version 8i) or RAC in 9i.

Database names might be sequentially generated, or represent a version of your software such as A001 or B192. In file tnsnames.ora on the client workstations you can put whatever friendly name you want such as ACCTING.WORLD = (all those params)(service_name = B112.WORLD) . In a simple setup your alias is always the same as your service_name parameter set in file initSID.ora.
Previous Topic: rollback tablespace and logging
Next Topic: Max Concurrent User for Oracle 8i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 18:50:41 CDT 2024