Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Upgrading from 12c to 18c failing with error: database already upgraded (windows oracle 12c to 18c)
Upgrading from 12c to 18c failing with error: database already upgraded [message #678615] Thu, 19 December 2019 08:00 Go to next message
kurki
Hi All,

We are upgrading the oracle database from 12.1.0.2 to 18c.
preupgrade.jar file executed successfully and completed all the pre-reqs.

before upgrading, I have set the below parameters:

1. Started the database in upgrade mode.
2. set the O_H to 18c O_H
3. set 12c database O_SID
4. Included 18c bin directory in the path

and executed the below command:
%ORACLE_HOME%/perl/bin/perl %ORACLE_HOME%/rdbms/admin/catctl.pl -d %ORACLE_HOME%/rdbms/admin -l %ORACLE_HOME%/rdbms/admin -n 4 catupgrd.sql

It is throwing the error as attached.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sriram

Re: Upgrading from 12c to 18c failing with error: database already upgraded [message #678620 is a reply to message #678615] Fri, 20 December 2019 09:12 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Many sites block attachments/links. And many of us refuse to open them for the same reason others block them. There is nothing to prevent you from pasting the error messages directly into your forum posting.

That said, based on your subject line and posting history, I'm guessing you have already run the upgrade, at least partially. The partial upgrade placed a file with the name 'Welcome', which is used as a bit of a flag to indicate the upgrade has already run. I don't have a system handy to get the exact name and location, but I've run into that in the past, and have it as part of my standard upgrade procedure to check for the file.

But I'd also ask, why are you apparently trying to do a manual upgrade, when the dbua is so much easier and less error prone?
Previous Topic: unable to run preupgrade.jar - getting invalid username/password error
Next Topic: Would you please help with connection to Oracle through Power Shell ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:25:11 CDT 2024