Home » Other » Client Tools » SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work (Oracle 11g on Windows 10)
SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680577] Fri, 22 May 2020 18:58 Go to next message
Eric Langager
Does anybody know where I can find a utility similar to the old GUI SQL Plus that came with Oracle9i? I just installed 11g XE on Windows 10 and the command line SQL Plus is really buggy. If it wraps and I type "set wrap off" nothing happens. To be honest, I am using this for personal data, so I would just install Oracle9i if I could, but 11g does have some improvements in capacity that I like. But I hate that they got rid of the Windows SQL Plus utility. I did download PLSQL Developer, but using it for running my old scripts is problematic. For one thing, the print is tiny. But also, commands like "set feedback off" give an error message.
Re: SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680579 is a reply to message #680577] Sat, 23 May 2020 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

It works for me on Windows XP:
SQL> select lpad('A',200,'A') from dual;
LPAD('A',200,'A')
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 row selected.

SQL> set wrap off
SQL> /
LPAD('A',200,'A')
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 row selected.

SQL> @v

Oracle version: 11.2.0.4.181016 EE
Note Oracle 11g on Windows 10 is not certified and 11gR2 is outdated since many years.
Why don't you download 18c XE?

Quote:
they got rid of the Windows SQL Plus utility.

Which was very buggy (but I admit I had the same reaction when 11g came out I didn't remember why), DOS version is far better: supports Ctl-C to interrupt a display (OK 11g one just supports one break), supports keyboard history, supports colors...

Quote:
For one thing, the print is tiny. But also, commands like "set feedback off" give an error message.

Does this apply to PL/SQL Developer or SQL*Plus as it is not true for the later.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 May 2020 00:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680580 is a reply to message #680579] Sat, 23 May 2020 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
I did in fact download 18C But it would not install. It is a known problem, but with no solution:

http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/206739/680490/#msg_680490

I should add that I never once had this problem when I was running 11g on Windows 7.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 May 2020 00:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680581 is a reply to message #680577] Sat, 23 May 2020 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Langager
NOTE: I found the problem, but not the solution. The problem is that when I open the SQL command line utility in Oracle, if I type "host," it shows me to be in the BIN folder. In the past, I have created separate folders for each schema, and then changed the directory to that folder before I log in, so that I can just draw the scripts for that schema directly. Never had an issue with that on Windows 7. But on this machine it chokes up when I do that. I have tried it several times now, and as long as log on with the BIN folder as the default, it works fine. Really annoying, but I am probably going to have to learn to live with it.
Re: SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680588 is a reply to message #680581] Sat, 23 May 2020 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

I failed to see the relation between that and the wrap issue.

Re: SQL Plus utility wrap command doesn't work [message #680593 is a reply to message #680581] Sat, 23 May 2020 14:52 Go to previous message
EdStevens
Eric Langager wrote on Sat, 23 May 2020 02:59
NOTE: I found the problem, but not the solution. The problem is that when I open the SQL command line utility in Oracle, if I type "host," it shows me to be in the BIN folder. In the past, I have created separate folders for each schema, and then changed the directory to that folder before I log in, so that I can just draw the scripts for that schema directly. Never had an issue with that on Windows 7. But on this machine it chokes up when I do that. I have tried it several times now, and as long as log on with the BIN folder as the default, it works fine. Really annoying, but I am probably going to have to learn to live with it.
Sounds like you don't have %ORACLE_HOME%\bin in your system PATH.

And like, Michael, I see no connection between that and your 'wrap' issue.

I's sorry, but if sqlplus were as buggy as you claim, there would be red flags all over the internet.
Previous Topic: Toad Access violation issue merged)
Next Topic: How to spool multiple .csv as attachment (merged)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:17:24 CDT 2024