Home » RDBMS Server » Enterprise Manager » OEM kills laptop
OEM kills laptop [message #249924] Fri, 06 July 2007 09:45 Go to next message
magrathean
Hello,

I was used to working with OEM (the Java edition) with a Oracle 9i database.

Now I have a new job, and wanted to download the latest version of OEM to use on my laptop. I work as a consultant, so I work at different customers' sites. I need a tool to connect to these customers' databases and explore their configuration and database objects.

I installed OEM, and immediately after installation my laptop's CPU went to an average of 80%. (The laptop is a Lenovo T60 with Intel Centrino Duo en 2GB of memory).
I tried to reboot - it hung. The icons on my desktop did'n even appear, the only thing I could do was Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager. Rebooted again; same problem.

So my question is: Is OEM such a monstruous piece of software? I saw it runs Java, apache, a database.... no wonder my laptop slows down to a halt.

I just need a simple tool to explore different databases; their objects and configuration, and examine their performance. Does Oracle have an OEM-light or something? Or do I need to turn to third-party software such as Toad?

Hope you can help me out, the current OEM does not seem to be suitable for me....
Re: OEM kills laptop [message #249933 is a reply to message #249924] Fri, 06 July 2007 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DreamzZ
Quote:
Now I have a new job, and wanted to download the latest version of OEM to use on my laptop. I work as a consultant, so I work at different customers' sites. I need a tool to connect to these customers' databases and explore their configuration and database objects.

why you downloading the trial or test version ask your company to give you register version.

Quote:
I installed OEM, and immediately after installation my laptop's CPU went to an average of 80%. (The laptop is a Lenovo T60 with Intel Centrino Duo en 2GB of memory).
I tried to reboot - it hung. The icons on my desktop did'n even appear, the only thing I could do was Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager. Rebooted again; same problem.

How many applications currently running on your pc and how much resources they occupied?

Quote:
I just need a simple tool to explore different databases; their objects and configuration, and examine their performance. Does Oracle have an OEM-light or something?

for monitoring multilple databases from single node you should need GRID CONTROL.

Quote:
Or do I need to turn to third-party software such as Toad?

It depeneds on you wheather you wanna go with oracle GRID TOOL or any third party tool like TOAD or SQL NAv or any other.
Re: OEM kills laptop [message #250010 is a reply to message #249924] Fri, 06 July 2007 16:16 Go to previous message
krblr

If you want to use EM, then the expectation is that you
- Install EM Grid on a server that has adequate resources in terms of disk, memory, CPU, etc.
- Install grid agents (these have a small footprint) on all target machines (dbs) you want to monitor.
- Access any db from anywhere in the world, not just your laptop, using a URL such as https://<host.domain>:port/em. Open those ports up for access.

- If not EM, there is SQL-Developer that is free, from otn, then there is always SQL-PLUS, there is nothing like it if you get used to it.
Previous Topic: database / gridcontrol / agent version
Next Topic: Create first local database
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:13:58 CDT 2024